Tragedy in Hodeidah.. Floods raise the death toll to 95 people

Hodeidah / Aden al/amal
The Houthi militia announced that the death toll from floods in Hodeidah Governorate, western Yemen, had risen to 95 since the beginning of last month.
A statement issued by the so-called emergency committee in the governorate yesterday evening, Monday, said that 11 people died during the past three days in drowning incidents, house demolitions, and lightning strikes as a result of the heavy rains that a number of districts in Hodeidah witnessed.
The statement indicated that the death toll had risen to 95 deaths, and the number of injured to 34 people.
Last Friday, the Houthi group announced that flood deaths in Hodeidah Governorate had risen to 84 cases, since the beginning of August 2024.
The rate of rain has increased in several governorates since the beginning of the aforementioned month, which led to the death of about 190 people and the injury of hundreds until September 2 of this year due to torrents and thunderbolts, as more than a quarter of a million people were affected, especially the displaced in the camps.
Climate disasters
Yemen, which has been at war since 2014, suffers from severe infrastructure weakness, which usually exacerbates the damage and losses resulting from floods and bad weather.
The World Health Organization said a week ago that rainfall is expected to increase in the coming months, and it is also expected that the central highlands, coastal areas on the Red Sea, and parts of the southern highlands will witness unprecedented (precipitation) levels exceeding 300 mm.
Last month, the United Nations alerted to an urgent need for $4.9 million to expand the scope of the urgent response to severe climate phenomena in Yemen.